From: Xan Barksdale
RE: Catcher's Throwing Camp
Before I share with you the fastest way possible to make night and day changes in the middle of the afternoon, I want you to take a seat and prepare yourself because what I'm about to share with you goes against anything you've ever seen, read or heard.
It was my second year as a college recruiting coordinator…
I’d been on the road for nine straight days. Like every other coach in the country, I was searching for a “DUDE”. The Dude who would take the front line in the battle for a championship. The Dude who would stand up and take charge. I wasn't looking for a catcher…Catcher’s are everywhere. Every team has a catcher.
I was in search for a Field General!
- One that could take control of our pitching staff with the leadership qualities bestowed upon 5-star Generals...
- One that could receive the ball with hands so strong, he could deceive the umpire into calling strikes that other teams only hoped they would get...
- One that sucked up balls in the dirt like a Hoover vacuum cleaner…
- One that made the other coaches change their game plan because they knew they couldn't steal against us...
But, here was my problem.
I’d found several guys that could do one or the other, but at the end of the day…
It was the stop-watch making the final decision.
Sad to say, but it’s true.
We both know that throwing isn’t everything. In fact, I personally believe throwing is secondary to leadership and receiving, but it’s just not how the game is played, or evaluated. Time after time, I kept seeing guys that were almost identical.
- Some of them could throw but couldn’t receive.
- Others could receive but couldn’t throw.
It was the Georgia heat was getting to me, after all it was close to 100 degrees that day. And let’s not forget, this was the 9th day in a row I’d been on the road recruiting and i'd spent at least 12 hours watching game after game.
My eyes were starting to cross and my thumb was experiencing Carpal Tunnel from constantly clicking the stop watch.
So, you can’t blame me for questioning what I was about to see...
I’d just gotten both teams rosters and had taken a seat as both teams were taking in and out. I’d never seen either of the two teams on the field play and had never heard of, nor seen either catcher.
But, after the kid from "The-Middle-Of-Nowhere USA" made his second throw, I couldn’t take my eyes off him.
- He could block…
- He could receive…
- He could throw…
2.23 Pop Time!
Ok, I can sense you scratching your head right now, wondering why a college recruiting coach at the D1 level was impressed by a 2.23 pop time, right?
And, I don’t blame you.
But - here’s what I saw inside the 2.23 seconds that had me so excited.
- Like so many catchers I’ve seen (and we’re talking freaking thousands of them) the 2.23 pop time catcher was SO, SO CLOSE to turning that 2.23 into 1.9 with one, teeny-tiny adjustment.
- And I knew from personal experience that his “Pop-Time” Leak would be easy to fix.
- All he needed to do was make one small adjustment with his back foot.
After the game was over, I had coach tell the kid to call me on my cell phone (NCAA rules...)
During the short conversation, I asked him one very important question about his mechanics.
Turns Out, The Kid Was Being Taught To “Do The Wrong Things Right”
I couldn’t believe it. Who are we kidding, yes I could. I see it all the time and you do too.
Long story short, the kid makes the small adjustment we discussed and the next thing you know… He signs.
Unfortunately, not with us.
He ended up committing to one of the Top 5 teams in the country that year, then he got drafted in the 8th round and turned down $200,000 to go to school.
Now don’t get me wrong, this isn’t typical. Heck, you don’t hear of stories like this one often, it’s probably why I can remember it like it was yesterday.
And even though, we didn’t sign the kid, it opened my eyes to the level of instruction that devastates so many “would be” college and pro catchers that never get the chance.
If only more catcher’s understood the science and technique behind “Pop-Time Leaks”, it would change the careers, even lives, of so many young men out there busting there butts, going above and beyond what is expected an asked of them. But, they don’t.
Since that day, I’ve spent thousands upon thousands of hours creating and refining my “Pop-Time Leak” System and you want to know what I’ve discovered?
There are at least 5 hidden “Pop-Time Leaks” and some of these suckers aren’t even visible to the naked eye.
Heck, most video analysis won’t even help you identify them. What you’ve got to realize is how complex the human body really is.
It’s crazy to think...
But the smallest movement of the foot, can set off a chain reaction leading to the arm and the next thing you know...
The smallest flaw with your initial weight shift of the foot could be the difference between a 2.23 and 1.9 Pop-time!
I’ll do my best to explain but I’ve got to be careful because I don’t want information like this floating around. Sorry, but information like this is so powerful that I can’t risk my clients losing the edge, this system gives them.
So, here are 5 of the top “Pop-Time Leaks” you desperately need to seal if you dream of reaching the next level…
- The feet are often the reason so many catchers reach their peak pop-time and no matter how much they throw, or train, nothing works.
- I call it the "STEP" - STance EPidemic. Most guys have really bad stances now and might as well be stomping on the stopwatch before the pitcher even let's go of the ball.
- The “other-half” is often the difference between 1.9 and 2.5 but it’s true… It’s the “other-half” (not the legs) that separates the men from the boys according to the stop watch. (Hint: Your top throwers in the MLB all know how to utilize the “other-half” for snap throws)
- The Forced Arm Action - You've had coaches and instructors tell you your entire life that catchers should throw this way or that way." The truth is that you shouldn't fight your natural arm action. A lot of guys have changed their mechanics so much that they can't even remember what their natural arm action looks like!
- The "Quick-Transfer" is something that most guys are taught NOT to do! You'll be surprised to find out that some of the top catchers do something completely different than what is usually taught by gurus!
I wish I could tell you more but I can’t and here’s why.
Information is power, but it’s only powerful when you’re the only one with the information!